Monday, November 2, 2009

Eastern Maine Regionals 10/19/09 - 11/01/09

After two weeks of waiting regionals finally came and I am so glad that they did! With an unexpected delay in the season our team just had to plan out another week of training (not a big deal). However, we had to keep ourselves pumped up for the important meet during the time off (a very big deal). The boys were definitely ready to have a better race than at KVAC's (I know I was). I made sure the guys knew how important every second they could take off was. 10 seconds off one of their times could mean as much as 4 or 5 places.


Training (since KVAC's)

Monday October 19- easy 5 mile + strength workout


Tuesday October 20- Hard 3 mile + track work (200's)


Wednesday October 21- Track work (repeat 1200's + long warm up)


Thursday October 22- Easy 3


Friday October 23- Rest Day before Regionals NOT! 4 mile run.


Saturday October 24- Regionals NO! 7 mile run

Sunday October 25- Rest Day went to movies with Nic and saw CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS! Very funny and very cute. Ate popcorn by myself because not everyone in the world has recognized the magic of buttered popcorn.


Monday October 26- 5 mile easy. good warm up.


Tuesday October 27- Track work 2x800, 2x400, 2x200. Faster than race pace.


Wednesday October 28- Medium pace 3 mile + 200's


Thursday October 29- easy 3

Friday October 30- rest before regionals no really this is for real this time.


Saturday October 31- Regionals! Very windy yet pretty warm. 16:30.72. Volunteered in the haunted house in Augusta and scared some kiddies. Drove to Farmington and watched some cheesy Halloween movies.

Sunday November 1- Rest Day. Hung out with Nic!




Regionals - Much better than the day regionals was originally scheduled for. It was almost 60 degrees at the meet which wasn't bad at all. The wind made it feel a little chilly but overall the weather was really not bad for a race. I made sure the guys did plenty of warm up + mobility exercises before the race. I didn't want anyone to have stiff muscles. The course didn't look too bad and even by the time the class B boys race was ready to go (the 4th race of the day) things weren't too muddy. We lined up in box 13 only to be moved to box 8 (our girls team had box 13....). We did our run outs and were ready to go. The race started and, like usual, went out fairly fast in the first 100. Surprisingly, though, the pace didn't stay as fast at the beginning as I thought it would. I had based a lot of my race strategy off of a fast start. But when the first 800 was definitely slower than I expected I decided to take over and push it out. I knew that Ryan James, Darik Frye, Ben Chapman, and Gabe Stewart were moving positions around behind me but I wasn't quite sure where. A quick check going around a corner about 600m after the mile mark told me that Gabe Stewart was right on me.


From there I just tried to keep the pace up and eventually crossed in 16:30, not my best at Belfast but better than KVAC's! Eben had an amazing race to PR in 17:22. Spencer Gray also busted out an amazing PR with his 19:36.

The awards ceremony had its cool factor increased by at least 3 points when THE Ryan Widzgowski and myself did an awesome handshake + chest bump. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZrdFKhgWs8

Oh and if any of you went to the haunted house in Augusta (at the old circuit city) on the night of Halloween I was the Werewolf in the camping room... Not the scariest room in the house but I did my best.

NEXT WEEK! States @ Twin Brook in Cumberland. Good luck to everyone! Its gonna be good!

1 comment: