Monday, November 16, 2009

New England Championships 11/08/09 - 11/15/09

NEW ENGLANDS

was so epic. Just ask the kid beside me who yelled "THIS IS SO EPIC" during the first 200m of the muddy and wet Wickham park course. I had to smile when he said that. But he was so right! Mud was flying up absolutely everywhere! I was getting hit by mud all over (even up to my hair!). I wanted to redeem myself so badly in this race because after states and I think I did. It was kinda weird: my odd numbered post season races #1 (KVAC) and # 3(States) were pretty bad... but my even numbered races #2 (Regionals) and #4 (New Englands) went really well! I placed 9th out of the Maine guys at NE's and 43rd total. I was 23rd out of Maine guys last week so I am pretty happy with the improvement. Last year I was 82nd at New Englands. My time wasn't all that impressive... but I really don't care. The race was so much fun.




The Race: The starting line was just as big as I remember. There was actually the same # of runners as last year (266). I got to be in a box with a bunch of out of state kids and I talked with one of the about USATF from last year. He was on a team we competed against and he remembered us. When the gun went off I got squeezed out a little bit but I made a move up at about 150m into the race to get a good position. I was already covered with a pretty good amount of mud after only 400m (awesome). Things didn't seem to be going out really really fast, although it was definitely faster than last year. I could still see the lead guys for a while which I thought was good. I had no idea where I was in terms of place but I could tell I was up a lot farther than last year. I felt pretty good throughout the entire race, there wasn't the energy drain like States and KVACs. The mud did make the race pretty slow overall but there is no way it would have been as fun without it. I think I would have been able to place better without it but it doesn't really matter.


(me looking cool)

At that big hill I tried to run up pretty stong and I picked off a couple of people. Running the course was weird because you would work hard up the hills but get no rest going down-hill. You had to work to keep yourself from falling. The worst part was just after the two mile. There was a long gradual down hill which I wanted to run fast on SO BADLY but I couldn't because I couldn't control where my feet went! The finish was pretty flat except for the last 100m and I think I finished pretty strong. The chute was slippery just like the announcer said and I saw a lot of slipping tired kids.


SPEAKING OF SLIPPING:
Absolutely the best part of the meet-


Sliding down the hill at the end was so sick. You could go so far! You also got to taste mud.... Which was worth it based on the fun level of the activity.

Well, this is the end of XC (for many of us). It was an incredible season. Whether or not you had the season you were really hoping for, you have to recognize that it was a great season and a lot of fun and awesome things happened. I wish good luck to all in XC who are continuing their season and a huge good luck to everyone in their winter sport!

XC 09 :) -Seeks

P.S.
I got back to Maine hours later and then went to Farmington with Nic! So much driving in a day but so worth it! We ate a good breakfast the next day (fruit + muffins!!!!) and then went to Mandy Edwards' balloon release at EA. So many nice balloons! We came back later and decided to run through puddles and splash everywhere. I definitely hadn't had enough rain and mud for the weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment